What is Microsoft Dynamics NAV?
Widely used as an effective ERP solution, Microsoft Dynamics NAV is part of the Dynamics family that is dedicated to assisting users with the sales, manufacturing, finance, customer relationship management etc.
By KRITESH ANAND
What are the functionalities of Microsoft Dynamics NAV?
- Financial Management and Accounting: the following features makes it easy to manage your finances:
- Cash Flow Forecast
- Responsibility Centers
- Bank Reconciliation
- Inter Company Posting and Cost Accounting
- Supply chain management, Operations and Management: the following modules helps you to track inventory, manage orders etc.:
- Production Bill for Materials
- Demand Forecasting
- Order Promising Campaign Pricing
- Warehouse Shipment
- Cycle Counting
- Marketing, Service, Sales: the following are the management features offered by Dynamics NAV:
- Service Orders
- Project Management: with the Project management capabilities of Microsoft Dynamics NAV, you can track projects, create estimates, manage capacity etc.:
- Multiple Costs
- NAV’s Capacity Management
- Phrases/ Tasks
- Job Suit Features
- Business intelligence and Reporting:
With Microsoft’s tight integration with applications, such as Excel, Word, Office 365, the business data can be viewed, analyzed and displayed. Thus, you can track insights and take informed decisions.
What has changed since the launch of Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central?
Among other things, Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central has created a lot of buss which has created a sense of confusion among the existing users of Dynamics 365 NAV. The existing users are often worried about having to transition with large amount of historical data and training their employees to work with the new solution. Here is what is new in Dynamics 365 Business Central:
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 offers two deployment options to its users: On-premise or Cloud based.
- While the overall format is the same, the navigation has undergone certain visual changes.
- It comes with subscription based licensing which reduces the cost of maintenance.
- Business Central has stronger integration capabilities when it comes to other Microsoft Apps.
- The solution also beats NAV in search capabilities as it is cleaner and better organized in D365 BC.
- In the interest of the users, Business Central offers advanced customizations which lets them modify the solution as per their specific needs. The Dynamics NAV Partner can make changes to business processes and functionalities to provide the user with a tailor made business solution.
Should you continue to use Microsoft Dynamics NAV?
If you look at it from a technical point of view, then the transition to Microsoft Dynamics Business Central from Microsoft Dynamics NAV is just another upgrade. You are entitled to all the original functionalities of NAV, while some extra benefits are added to them. By moving to a cloud based platform, D365 Business Central has made the solution even more agile and smart. Functionalities are more customizable and operations are streamlined. Moreover, you can access the solution anytime, from any device. In fact, there is another option for existing users of Microsoft Dynamics NAV, called Dynamics 365 Business Central On-premise, that uses the traditional deployment particularities.
Thus, it can be said that Dynamics 365 Business Central is basically the rebranding of Dynamics NAV.
However, it must be noted that Microsoft is investing its time and resources on the further development of Business Central and will not be introducing any update for NAV. Additionally, no new licenses would be sold to users under this solution name. Hence it is in the interest of your company and its future growth that you migrate to the new solution within due time and remain ahead of the curve.
What are the functions of Microsoft Dynamics NAV Partner?
The responsibility of a Dynamics NAV Partner remains just the same. However, since Microsoft will no longer be selling any NAV licenses, implementation will not be included in their services. Nevertheless, they are responsible for conducting the due updates and providing you with their expert opinions and consultancies. He will also be making the relevant tweaks to make the solution perfectly suited to your needs.
A Dynamics NAV Partner would also help you recognize your need for upgrading to Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central. If you are looking at a growing business, it might as well be the time to ask your partner to help you with the transition.
This article elaborates on Microsoft Dynamics NAV and compares it to the new Dynamics 365 Business Central. It briefly explains whether or not existing users should upgrade to the new solution and abandon their NAV licensing.
Kritesh is a professional blogger and writer focusing on technology, education, lifestyle, fashion, travel, health etc. Follow him on Facebook and Linkedin.